Single handed (ain’t talking ‘bout pirates)

Posted by slide1968 
Single handed (ain’t talking ‘bout pirates)
November 12, 2009 11:03AM
Dear horomundians,
yesterday i was hanging around the city centre, and incidentally grinning smiley i passed by a watch shop….
That shop is one of the few here in Milan who sells MeisterSinger watches, and I was very curious to see these pieces, since there aren’t many with a single hand.

So I entered the shop and I tryied the 38mm n.01 model, black dial, brown indexes, manual wind (ETA 2401 or something like that if I ain’t wrong).
I’ve to say that – even if it is clear it is a low-mid range brand – it is very well done, very fine and in some way understated.
Also, and important, the price/quality ratio seems very good.

I like the idea of having one hand only (in a watch spinning smiley sticking its tongue out), and the idea that the time can be read only by 5 minutes intervals….I feel it might change the perception of the flow of time, making it a bit slower (and slowing a bit smoking smiley our lives too, which is not always a bad thing).

Getting back home I was then wondering confused smiley how many watches or watch brands use to have a single-handed watch in their collection.
I believe that these kind of watches were the earliest ones to be produced…but it is just my feeling.
Does anybody knows more about single handed watches, brands, history ??

Regards,
Slide68
avatar One of my favourite single hand watches
November 12, 2009 02:58PM

The Shimoda by Peter Speake-Marin

Ian Skellern -Revolution Online moderator

www.facebook.com/underthedial
twitter.com/underthedial
Jorg Schauer
November 13, 2009 09:10AM
Jorg Schauer makes single handed watches too and they are limited in production... The hands are crafted by Jorg himself.

Actually, I quite like them.
avatar A picture of Jorg Schauer's Einzeiger watch
November 13, 2009 08:37PM

Jörg Schauer makes lovely watches !

MarkS
avatar A picture of MeisterSinger's Single Hand Watch
November 13, 2009 08:44PM

And some further reading on the idea behind single handed watches from Meistersinger's site .

MarkS
avatar I just spotted a single hand watch from
November 14, 2009 08:36AM
Nienaber / Bunde that you should take a look at Slide. Its called the "Antero" and it has a unique dial with the small seconds at 9.

edited by marks to fix typo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2009 10:16AM by MarkS.
avatar Re: I just spotted a single hand watch from
November 14, 2009 10:35AM
Thank you cfdfire for introducing Rainer's piece. Further down are two shots and a link to watch a video on Rainer Nienaber's site and see what it does not to cover the second indication at 9 o'clock.

Demo of Rainer Nienaber's Antero

MarkS
November 14, 2009 10:43PM
I was trying to find the words to explain the unique action of the watch to pass the small seconds hand,Its easier to see a video for sure.
November 15, 2009 09:34PM
Take a look at Stefan Kudoke's Mysticum ,IMHO a very nice watch !!! cheerz
Re: Single handed (ain’t talking ‘bout pirates)
November 16, 2009 12:10PM
Dears,
thanks for this huge feedback !!

All beautiful watches, with a slight preference for Nienaber Antero.
I wasn't aware of the fact that so many brands deal with single-handed watches (even if most are artisanal brands)...There's always something to learn from you guys!

Thank you,
ciao,
slide68